Nov 29, 2012

Rescued End Table

I finally have another furniture makeover to share with you!  Now, I don't normally confess how much I pay for my furniture, but this time I am going to admit that this was a roadside find.  I made my husband get out and load it up for me though... he's so sweet :-)



Now, I totally forgot about a before picture, but it was just brown, with coppery gold hardware and that black speckled finish that's so hideous now. 



I painted it with Cece Caldwell paint in Vermont Slate.  However, I did something a little different.  At the store where I bought my paint, the owner gave me a little bottle of black colorant.  So I added some of that into my paint and it darkened it up a bit so that it's a really nice dark grey.  I love how the colour turned out.  Hopefully someone else does, too, because this one's for sale. 



I thought about spray painting the hardware... but it was just too cold out and I didn't feel like freezing myself to death just to paint one knob.  Then I thought about switching it out for something different, but I couldn't find anything in my stash of bits and bobs that would work.  So, what I ended up doing was using rub-n-buff.  First I did the whole thing in black to cover up the original colour.  Then I highlighted in silver and I ended up quite liking how it turned out. 


One thing that's nice about the Cece paint is that you can distress it with a wet rag.  Which means I don't have dust flying every which way when I am working indoors in this chilly weather.  I gently rubbed the entire piece down to ensure that I had a really smooth surface. Then I finished it off with the Cece Caldwell clear wax.

I am actually a little behind on my blogging, as I have a few more tables to share with you soon. 

Linking to:
Finding Fabulous
My Repurposed Life
Miss Mustard Seed
The Shabby Nest
Homespun Happenings
Five Days: Five Ways
Tatertots & Jello
Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm
Primitive & Proper
Southern Lovely
Domestically Speaking

7 comments:

  1. I absolutely love it. It looks "showroom" quality. I think that roadside find pieces sometimes turn out the best. It takes a little love and sometimes a bit more work but what a great sense of accomplishment to give an old piece a "new life".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colour, what a great find! I have been following you, but just noticed that you are from Ontario - I live in Toronto so it's nice to see a fellow Ontarian as there don't seem to be a lot of us that I've seen so far (I'm still rather new to this though).

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the hardware too. great job!

    hope you can stop by when you have a moment.

    smiles and sunshine to you.

    michele

    http://www.hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/11/hello-lovely-paris-apartment.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! That hardware is amazing!!! Love it! Thank you so much for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! I'd love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday - Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete