Sep 11, 2012

Laundry Room Makeover


 This room has been a long time coming. It's our laundry room/freezer room/utility room/back entrance all-in-one.  It was originally painted over peach wallpaper with a lovely goosey border at the top.  Shortly after we moved in I thought I would be smart and start taking off the wallpaper.  I probably should have just painted over it again.  It was 1000x harder than taking off normal wallpaper, plus they hadn't primed the drywall underneath, so it was just leaving a huge mess behind.  So my mums and pops came down to rescue me and we put up beadboard throughout the room. 


I'm not even going to admit to you how long I looked at walls like this. 

It's actually been done for a little while now, so sorry that I'm a bit late getting these pictures up.
The beadboard that we put up was preprimed, however I did put on two coats of white paint after it was all up.   Once the walls were all freshly painted, the cupboards looked dingy in comparsion, so I also put some semi-gloss paint onto the cupboards.
This picture is looking in through the kitchen doorway.


And this view (below) is kind of looking in from the back door.







The chalkboard originally was given to us in an oak frame, however we decided that we loved the look of an unframed chalkboard.  I love the edges of it. They are slightly rusty.

It's magnetic, so I was able to easily hang up this cute penant I made. 
My husband framed out the electrical panel and then I tacked some wallpaper onto the back.  I will probably be changing it up every so often.

My husband is an electrician, so he wanted the beadboard panel that covers the electical panel easily removable, so if he ever wants to work on the wiring he has easy access to it.  So, this slice of beadboard paneling was installed with screws instead of nails like the rest of the room. 


Hmmm, the top of the fridge doesn't always look this tidy. But I can dream, right?  That basket on the right I purchased for 10 cents at a yard sale.  In fact I purchased a couple of other things at that sale, and they all were ten cents each... super score!  You can read about the potato chip can here.


For now, I made three of these to hang on the knobs that we hung on the wall beneath the cupboards.  They will probably change at christmas time, though.  My father-in-law routered the board for us. 
My husband and I found the hardware at hobby lobby in the states.  We both love it!


It's so much more refreshing to be out there now.  Plus, now that everything is white I have more motivation to keep everything clean, since all the dirt shows. 
I will probably be tweaking here and there and changing things up every so often, but for now, it's pretty much done. 

Previous Posts on this room:

6 comments:

  1. You did a great job! Yes...Hobby Lobby. Never been there, but going to go on my next trip to the States! They have so many cool things in the States that you can't seem to find in Canada (sniff! sniff!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia,
    What a pretty laundry room! This is a job I am going to tackle in the fall/winter months.I LOVE the beadboard!Great finds too!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your laundry room now, it's just beautiful and all the little touches are nice! You should find (or make) a little folding screen to hide the hot water heater.

    I know what you mean about the wall paper, when I moved into my house the bathroom had some hideous wall paper and it took me FOR.EVER to remove it too!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an improvement!
    I really like the hanging rail you have mounted under the top cabinets. Fabulous hardware.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the window treatment, pinning this:) New Follower!
    Hugs, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your fun vintage touches in your "new" room! I just re-did my laundry room as well, so I understand how much pleasure you can get just from having a neat, fresh space ;-)

    ReplyDelete