Sep 18, 2012

Classic Black Mission Desk

This is one of the those pieces that I wish I could keep.  It's very solid, very sturdy, and quite old. 
It's all solid wood, including those chunky legs.  Most likely it's cherry, at least according to my dad. 
When I brought it home, it was very wobbly, so my husband and dad took it all apart, scraped all the old glue and totally reglued it. It's like a rock now!  Sorry I can't share any pictures of this process.  I know that I took some, but I just can't seem to find them. 
If the top hadn't been so bad, I probably wouldn't have painted this one. (It actually looked worse than what the picture shows.  And this was after sanding it down. 
So, I gave in and painted it black.  I used Rustoleum's paint in black. (In a can, not their spray paint.)  That paint goes on like a dream.  Or at least it used to.  Has anyone used black since they changed their paint?  I used to love their white paint, as well.  I started using one of their new cans (in white) and it just wasn't anywhere near as nice as it was. 
I lightly distressed the edges only on this piece. 
Since the gold knobs that came with it obviously weren't original, I switched them out for these pretty glass ones. 

It has a large work surface, perfect for spreading out on! 

11 comments:

  1. I like this piece much better painted black! I don't know about spray paints, but the low/no VOC are much harder to work with if you need to manipulate the paint. It dries so quickly, it's hardening on the brush.I've started working with two brushes so I can keep one in water. ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, I like it much better in black:)
    Love the distressing you did and the knobs...so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow that is some amazing transformation. This is such a creative post. I would love it if you would share this post at our WIW linky party. Hope you can join us. :-)

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this desk the black really makes it "pop". I'm from Ontario too and have just started back into refinishing after many yearss off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty in black! I love it. Thanks for the suggestion on the rustoleum in a can.
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. The black is perfect and I love, love, love the glass knobs. Great transformation! Thanks, Angela @ http://www.mrswhitetwigandtea.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks wonderful black! I like it distressed :) Thank you for linking this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very Inspiring dear,Good Job!

    If you have a minute, please check out my blog and leave a comment on my new post.
    I'll appreciate it so much! Thanks!

    Blow A Rainbow

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  9. i always love black with glass knobs! so pretty! and the shape is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a totally awesome transformation! I LOVE IT!!!! sharing over at Junkin Joe today!!! sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is REALLY pretty! I saw a desk at a flea market very similar to this, and just SWOONED!

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete