Sep 6, 2012

Chair Painted in "Grainsack" milkpaint and a few updates

So, one Saturday morning in August I peeked out my front door and spotted a yard sale two houses away. Not only did I spy a yard sale, but I spied a pair of chairs!  I wasn't quite ready for the day yet, so I hustled my husband out the door to scope them out for me.  He reported that they were sturdy, and a great price, so I hurried him back out the door to purchase them for me. 

Here is what I have done to the first one:
I used milk paint in Grain Sack by miss mustard seed.  I actually ordered it straight from the Homestead House company back at the beginning of August.  This is the only piece I've used it on so far, though. 

I was lucky and it ended up being quite flaky and crackly!

I love the fabric I used! If you look closely, just below the '24', you can see Orangeville (I went to highschool in Orangeville, so I just had to point that out.)  There are a few other Canadian cities on the seat, too.

On this one, I really only sanded around the edges, and then enough to knock off the flaky paint.  It was fun :-)

If you've never tried it, you should definitely give milk paint a go.  It's nice to work with and it always surprises me.   

I haven't touched the second chair yet, though.  It's on my massive to-do list.  You may have noticed my lack of posting for the past couple of weeks.  My husband and I flew to Saskatchewan to attend his brother's wedding.  My husband flew home again after a few days, but I spent the next bit of time travelling back to Ontario with my parents.  What a road trip!  We arrived back at my parents on Saturday night, but I stayed the weekend there and got back here monday night!  I've been busy getting things back in order and catching up!

In case you're curious, here's what the chair looked like before I tackled it. 

Hopefully I will have a few more posts this week.  Our laundry room is pretty much done... whoohoo!  Now I just have to clear my excess furniture out of there so I can take some pictures. 

Linking to:
My Repurposed Life: Catch as Catch Can
Miss Mustard Seed: Furniture Feature Friday
The Shabby Nest: Frugal Friday
Homespun Happenings: Rustic Restorations
Chic on a Shoestring: Flaunt it Friday
The Cottage Market: Junkin' Joe
Tatertots & Jello
Funky Junk Interiors
Here's To Handy Andy: Pinteresting Link Party
Coastal Charm: Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Primitive and Proper: POWW
Domestically Speaking
Southern Lovely
The 36th Avenue
The Shabby Creek Cottage
Five Days: Five Ways

13 comments:

  1. Cynthia,
    What a great find! It is hard to find those chairs!LOVE that paint color!Can't wait to try it!Cool fabric too!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. The milk paint looks great. I have been wanting to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the distressed finish. So much better than the original. I have similar shaped chairs except mine have a fabric back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I so want to try milk paint. I have two projects in my house for that.:) Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this chair. I need to redo one in my office, and this is so pretty. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/simple-anti-aging-moisturizer-and.html
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful- love the seat! i have yet to try MMS milk paint but plan to! i can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't ya love it when you find a pair of chairs and not just one! They look great! Thanks, Angela @ Mrs. White Twig and Tea

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chairs look amazing, and quite the transformation. Love the fabric. Very well done. Thanks so much for following my blog, I am now your newest follower. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. That charm was a flash to the past my grandmother had chairs like that! You gave that one a fresh new look. Thanks for stopping by, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love this chair! How cool is that your high school name is on the fabric!!! thanks for sharing over at Junkin Joe...tons of hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's party time at Debt Free Mommy Blog and we'd love to see you there! Please come join us and link up to Making Space Mondays. We'd love to see any post(s) about making your spaces better. Thanks, Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  12. I a OBSESSED with this! So so pretty. We have the exact same style.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many thanks for this interesting and very well written article. Your work is appreciable perhaps you have done a hard work on it.
    Wallpapers

    ReplyDelete