Jun 19, 2012

Vintage 1964 End Table

Again, I found this table down the street from me.  I don't know what it is with my neighbours lately, but they all seem to be getting rid of awesome junk! 

IMG069.jpg

The finish on this one was in pretty rough shape, so I didn't feel at all guilty about painting it.  The lady told me it once belonged to her parents and she had been using it until recently when they bought a new one.  I bet if she could see my after pictures, she may regret getting rid of it!  It's amazing what a little bit of black paint did for this table!


This table doesn't really suit my style of decorating, but I loved how it turned out!  And the couple who bought it loved it too! 


I wasn't intending to change the colour of the brass handles.  I soaked them in vinegar for a little bit with the intention of just polishing them up a bit since they were tarnished.  However, once I started polishing they started to turn a copper colour... ooops... I guess they weren't solid brass.  So, I got out some silver rub n buff and now they look great! 


The date of manufacturing was stamped on the bottom of this table... 1964... back when they were still making decent furniture.  This table is heavy! 

Well, I'm off to photograph some more of my finished pieces... Have a great day and stay cool!

Linking to:
Domestically Speaking: Power of Paint
Southern Lovely: Show & Share
The Shabby Chic Cottage: Transformation Thursday
Chic on a Shoestring
Miss Mustard Seed: Furniture Feature Friday
The Shabby Nest: Frugal Friday
Homespun Happenings: Rustic Restorations
Finding Fabulous: Frugalicious Friday
Tatertots & Jello: Weekend Wrap-Up 
Funky Junk Interiors: Saturday Night Special 
My 1929 Charmer: Sunday's Best 
Primitive & Proper: POWW

13 comments:

  1. Love finding awesome junk. Your's looks great and yes a little paint goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd call this a very successful rescue. My mother had some tables like this, and I have been sorry I let them get away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks stunning. I have done the same in my home. My tables and dressers are all old and I have painted them with a matte black paint. New handls made the tables and dressers look modern and chic.

    http://inspirationallettersbymillie.blogspot.com
    http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com
    http://shearsensations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the black! I've been thinking about whether I could use it on something, just haven't found the right piece. Love how yours turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your right - they don't make furniture like they used to! Isn't if fun to find a piece with great character and transform it! I Love how this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - I have a set of tables very similar in style, and I've wanted to paint them but have been paralyzed about whether to do white, black, or some fun color in between. Your table is a great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this table! The silver hardware really pops against the dark color of the furniture.

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great! Gotta love your neighbors! I like the hardware being silver, that was a good oops! :) Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a treasure! It really looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, gorgeous makeover... and so many other fabulous ones here too! Thanks so much for your kind comments and visit to my blog. Stay cool... I'll try and send some of our cool air your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this one! it has such a classic and chic feel!

    ReplyDelete