Jun 29, 2012

Tray Makeover

Today, I wanted to share a simple idea for making over an old tray.


I bought this old tray at a yard sale for a dollar.  Boy that was quite the sale.  They were getting ready to move an older couple into a nursing home.  There were two garages stuffed full and everything in them was for sale.  Do you know how hard it was to drag my husband away from there?  If we didn't have somewhere we needed to be that morning, I'm sure he would still be there!


Now, I'm sure there will be people who thought it was pretty just as it was.  Whoever had painted it, really had done a great job.  However, it didn't really suit my decor or taste.  So, a makeover it did receive. 

First I painted it white.  Then, I cut a piece of buralp to fit the bottom.  After I glued it down, I drybrushed some white paint over the burlap, so there wasn't such a stark contrast between the two.  Then, I stenciled a date in the lower corner.  Honestly... the hardest part of this makeover was waiting for the white paint to dry between coats. 

And now I love it and am very happy with it.  Right now it's sitting on the coffee table in the living room.  Although, I can see it possibly moving to the dining table in it's future.  It all depends what mood I'm in, right?





(p.s. the burlap pillow you see in the background is available in my etsy shop, here.)

And, now I'm off to go work on this room...Which I will hopefully be able to share more about soon.  And don't worry, it doesn't look this scary anymore.  (Thankfully!!! Thankfully!!!)  This is the project that my mom and dad came down to help me with. 




20 comments:

  1. Cynthia,
    Great job on this makeover.Yes those were pretty flowers painted.But I love your idea of burlap and that stenciled number.I need to find some big stencils.I have not found any at a store.I may have to search on line.
    ((Hugs))
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the burlap and with the number -- it is PERFECT!!!! great job :) hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tray is awesome. Two of my favorite yard sale finds are trays and wooden boxes. Love what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! love what you did with the tray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tray looks fantastic, Cynthia! Even more awesome . . . the fact that your husband enjoys going to garage sales! I'm incredibly envious :)

    Any significance to the date?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great makeover! and I love how you have it displayed, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a beautiful job...can't go wrong with burlap and white paint. Sounds like a wonderful sale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fantastic project! Would you consider linking this up at my Pinworthy Projects Party? I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the tray makeover! I just pinned it to Pinterest... I've had a tray similar to this for over a year now just waiting for a makeover. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty makeover - loving it!
    Your newest follower - would love to have you come
    by and follow back
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty and I love the look of the "white-washed" burlap with the number! I've got several trays that I was trying to decide on how to finish the inside and I think I found the answer with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. very pretty! come join us for a heart&home link party at mercyinkblog.com, open through friday evening. would love to feature your project! :)
    happy weekend!
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is SO gorgeous! Hope you can link it up at my trendy tuesday party!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this tray!
    Thank you for linking up to our Pinteresting Party. You are one of the features at tomorrow's party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! The tray turned out beautiful.

    I'm hosting my first linky party "One Creative Weekend" at OneCreativeMommy.com. I'd love for you to visit and link up this idea or anything else you'd like to share.

    ReplyDelete
  16. the tray looks great! love how you used burlap.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun idea, I love adding the burlap! Can't wait to see how you beautified that room! Good luck. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVe the burlap and the date...will try something with an old tray I have, thanks for sharing! and also thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment!!!

    ANdrea
    SCD

    ReplyDelete