Jun 4, 2012

Milk Paint Dresser

I have been a busy painting bee lately.  Here is a dresser that I completed last week.  Again, it was found at a yard sale down the street from us. 

After a little debate in my mind, I decided to paint it white.  Then, after some more debate, I decided to paint it with Old Fashioned Milk Paint. 


Sorry, I forgot to take a before picture on this one, but it was brown, scratched, a little dated and the pulls were brassy and tarnished. 

I refinished the top and stained it dark walnut.  It sure is a decently thick piece of solid wood!


And, I painted the original hardware a nice black.


I was ambitious this time around and even painted the sides of the drawers a pretty shade of blue grey.

I find that the more you sand a piece before you paint it with milk paint, the more it sticks to your piece.  I had sanded this dresser pretty thoroughly before deciding to go with the milk paint, and I really had to sand the paint to get it to distress. 


All in all, it is one hundred percent improved! 


And I just had to share this table that I recently found.  It is in decently good shape, with the original finish, so I probably won't be painting it. But it is definitely a beauty!




It might be good that we live in a small house... because I would probably keep all the beautiful furniture that I find and never have anything to sell!


14 comments:

  1. the dresser looks perfect! and oh i love that new table, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect restyle and perfect little table :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both of these! Great work on the dresser you painted - love the paint and the distressing! Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the look of the dresser! You did a great job! Oh and LOVE the table too!!

    I do hope you are planning on sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dresser! Great idea staining the top and painting the bottom. I am currently working on a dresser and I think that combination is just what I am looking for!
    Amy
    the-coupon-pantry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dresser is beautiful! I love your table too.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dresser is just beautiful!
    I would love if you stopped by to link it up to my party which is happening now!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved how this dresser turned out! The two tone, and especially the finished sides of the dresser - I need to do that when I paint a dresser. That little extra finishes it off nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just a great dresser. I haven't worked with milk paint yet. Great project. I saw you at The Vintage Farmhouse.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't tried milk paint but I'm wanting to! This is absolutely beautiful, great job on it, so much character. I'd love for you to post it at my link party at http://www.doodlesandstitches.com/2012/06/fabulous-friday-link-party-5.html
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful and I'm so glad you painted the sides! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the chest of drawers with the combination of of milk paint and stained top.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely ADORE this!! Hope you can link this up at my new linky party Trendy Tuesday!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2012/06/trendy-tuesday-4.html

    ReplyDelete