Jun 26, 2012

Gossip Bench in CeCe Caldwell's "Slate"

So, I have been hearing recently a lot about CeCe Caldwell's paint and how great it was.  I figured that probably the only way I would be able to get it would be to order it somewhere from the States and then I'd have to pay outrageous shipping fees to boot.  Well, much to my surprise, I discovered a store in St. Thomas, ON that carries it.  Now, St. Thomas is several hours away from my home.  However... it is just a short jaunt off of the main highway on the way to my parent's.  So, a couple of weekends ago when we went up there, I emptied my wallet on a couple of cans, plus a few sample pots.  The ladies running the store were very nice and they had just moved into a new and bigger location. 


This is my first piece using this paint.  I have to say that the paint did go on very nicely.  I only did one coat on this chair, because I was planning on distressing it a bunch.  If you wanted perfect coverage, it would have needed two coats.  The paint has lots of natural variations in the color... in that way it's totally different than latex.  After I use it a bit more, I am planning on doing a more in depth post about using it. 

This gossip bench looks like it was 'natural wood', however, if you could see it in person you would realize that it was faux wood painted.  Now, with cece caldwell paint you are supposed to be able to just paint without sanding.  However, there were drips in the original paint that I had to smooth out. 


At first I wasn't sure if I liked the finished product, but it has begun to grow on me.  I also bought the clear wax to try out.  It went on very nicely, and wasn't even stinky, so it is great for using in the house.


I liked how you could use other colours to draw out the different tones in this paint.  The blue in the fabric I chose brings out the blue in the paint. 

This is the only piece that I've painted in two weeks!  I do have several things though, that I haven't blogged about yet.  Remember last week when I mentioned that my parents had been down helping me on a special project?  Well, that's what I've been busy with... I'm hoping to reveal that soon. 

Linking to:
Domestically Speaking: Power of Paint Party
Southern Lovely: Show & Share
The 36th Avenue: Show Me Extraordinary
The Shabby Creek Cottage: Transformation Thursday
Miss Mustard Seed: Furniture Feature Friday
The Shabby Nest: Frugal Friday
My Repurposed Life: Catch as Catch Can
Chic on a Shoestring: Flaunt it Friday 
Five Days Five Ways: Friday Free For All
Finding Fabulous: Frugalicious Friday
Gingerbread: Sweet Saturday
Tatertots & Jello: Weekend Wrap-Up
Funky Junk Interiors: Saturday Night Special 
Here's To Handy Andy: Pinteresting Party
My 1929 Charmer: Sunday's Best
Primitive & Proper: POWW

15 comments:

  1. I'm curious...is it the item you're not so much liking or the paint and it's finish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more the finish than anything else... probably because it is different than what I was used to. But, it has definitely been growing on me... and I for sure like it now!

      Delete
  2. I love this piece - so different to the telephone tables I'm used to seeing. And I love the colour you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great piece of furniture..I love the curve to the table part. i think the new color looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So interesting to learn about a new paint! Your results are beautiful.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment on my garden chairs.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the transformation. I still haven't tried this paint, but it is on my to do list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've enjoyed going through and looking at all of your before and after furniture pieces. Good to get the downlow on the paint. I haven't used it before and am not one to order online myself, so it hasn't come my way yet, but I figure the time will come before too long. Meanwhile, I've been wanting to try making some of my own, but honestly, there are so many things I want to do, that sometimes I just sit and look at what other people do instead because I can't decide which thing to do. :)
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this turned out beautiful!! Found you over at Gail's MRL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm stopping by from Miss Mustard Seeds Furniture Feature Fridays.
    I really like the fabric that you chose for the seat.
    You have done a fabulous recycle. You've given it new life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like how this turned out - the color is just perfect for a piece this size!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't heard much about the paint you used. Is it chalk paint?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Came over from My 1929 Charmer to see your piece. I have heard of this paint, but haven't seen it around here. Is it similar to Annie Sloan? I am not much on spending a lot on paint as I sell the pieces I finish, but might be interested for something for myself. Will return to hear more.

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the fabric and the color! The shape of that piece is so adorable! Thanks for sharing at A Pinteresting Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your gossip bench. It turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete