May 28, 2012

Black & White Damask

Damask is one of my favorite patterns, and when  I saw this pretty black and white version a while back at Fabricland, I was instantly drawn to it.  Luckily, I picked up just enough to recover this antique arm chair. 


It seems like I've been admitting to procastination a lot lately... I've had this chair since September.  I finally started working on it a few weeks back, sanding down and repainting the frame.  While I don't have a true before picture, but I do have this "in progress" picture that actually leads to a more dramatic before and after.  We'd already torn off the existing layer of torn burgundy vinyl.  There I was, intently pulling out each tack, one by one, when my husband comes out with a small pry bar and a hammer and had the chair apart in seconds! (Ok... maybe not seconds...)

The seat cushioning consisted mainly of torn and faded old blankets, and they landed directly in the garbage can. 


It took me another little while to tackle the upholstery part.  But, once I got going things started coming together.  I wish I could tell you how I did it, but I just figured it out as I went along.  It was hard... but hopefully next time will be easier!


I added a little decorative trim around the bottom and around the arms. 




Isn't the carving just so pretty?

And on the back, I added these pretty little tacks.  If you like them, you can find them at Home Hardware. 


And I was able to enjoy it for about a week or so after it was finally complete before it went to it's new home. 

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful chair! The details in the wood are amazing. Too funny that we both finally finished Sept chairs and they were both covered in vinyl when we bought them. Your "in progress picture" is pretty frightening. If the chair had been like that from the start, I don't know if I would have taken the challenge on. It turned out wonderful and the fabric and tacks really make it look updated. Amazing job! Can't wait to see what other yard sale finds you're re-doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stunning! i really need to try my hand at upholstery... but it scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!!!
    What a great redo, it's stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOve damask too...wish I knew how to upholster!! Beautiful chair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! I'm about to take on my first re-upholster...any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love damask too. Your newest follower from Southern Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a lovely chair! Love the damask!
    I would love if you came by my linky party happening now to link this up!
    I would love to have you there!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is amazingly beautiful.. LOVE a great damask and this is FAB!!! :)) I would LOVE if you could please link this to an awesome pin'inspirational party I have going on today.. SO pin worthy!! Thanks so much .. Fantastic blog you have here.Officially a follower with smiles!!. ~WIshing ya a beautiful day.. Marilyn via http://www.theartsygirlconnection.com/2012/05/pininspirational-thursdays-all-about.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! I have a pile of yard sale finds piled up too :) This is absolutely beautiful! I am so glad you came by and linked it up to Rustic Restorations Weekend! So far you are the only one that could post anything. Sometimes Computers are so frustrating :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovin it. And, yes, the carving is gorgeous. GREAT MAKEOVER.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found you on Miss Mustard Seed. You makeover is fantastic! I love the detail in the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous - however did you part with it? You did a marvellous job from what I can see. I'd happily put it in my home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous chair - you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also love damask, and it looks beautiful on this chair. You really did a great job! I've got a chair sitting in my garage which looks very similar to your. So now I've got to get working on it. Hope mine turns out as good as yours. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration over at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a project! It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. been there done that! sometimes ya gotta wonder who is fighting with ya on these makeovers. :)
    I'm glad you won! your chair looks great.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  17. How stunning! I love the finish on the arms & legs, and that fabric is to die for. :)

    ReplyDelete