Jan 10, 2012

Shabby Chic White China Cabinet

Ever since I have started redoing furniture, I have wanted to tackle one of these china cabinets. 


But, whenever I have happened upon one, they've usually been just a tad bit over my price range for an item to resell.   So, you'll have to imagine how happy I was when I purchased this one at an auction right before Christmas.  I got the outside painted up fairly quickly, but hadn't been able to get back at it until recently to do the inside.  


(A little side story about the auction that I purchased it at:  There was a matching sideboard to this cabinet.  Nobody ended up bidding on it, and as I was in line at the end to pay for my purchases, the sideboard's owner came up to me and offered it to me... for free!  Oh my, you can't believe how tempted I was, but coming to the  realization that the rather large item would have to sit smack dab in the middle of my little kitchen until I redid it and it sold, I had to turn her extremely tempting offer down.) 

This time around, I added plaster of paris to my paint.  Although, I ended up having to do less coats of paint, it seemed like each coat of paint seemed to take longer to do.  Is that just me, or does anyone else share my opinion?


I wasn't totally sure what to do with the curlicue wooden detailing on the front of the glass.  The glass wasn't about to come out, so what I ended up doing was sliding a couple of sheets of paper up and under the cutwork to prevent getting paint on the glass, and it worked fairly well.  There was a little of a bleed through to the other side of the wood, but not all that bad... definitely liveable.  


Here's a few close ups.  I really did have fun setting this cabinet up. 





If my bathroom was big enough, I would definitely be keeping it to store my towels in, alas, there's hardly enough room to turn around in there, so some other lucky lady will get to enjoy it. 

Hopefully, I will be back tomorrow with an update on our kitchen cabinet makeover. 
Also, I picked up a little cabinet at the "Sally Ann" today.  The weather was so mild, that I was able to sand it outside this afternoon... in January! Crazy!

Linking to:

DomesticallySpeaking







shabby creek cottage



The 36th Avenue










Photobucket

Photobucket
Furniture Feature Fridays
The Shabby Nest





Making Lemonade

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

20 comments:

  1. Absolutely darling! I would love to own a piece like this! What a charming bathroom cupboard! You did a wonderful job! And your styling is so sweet...looks like something out of Romantic Homes magazine!
    Best Wishes and Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I too have wanted one like this, only I don't think I could part with it. Great job...

    ReplyDelete
  3. just goes to show what a difference white paint makes- it was dated and blah before, and now it's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely!!! Congratulations on your find1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my it is gorgeous! If I lived near your shop I would be purchasing this chest! But alas I live in Tennessee. lin, lbprich@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love and adore this style of cabinet as well! I hope I find one someday, and that it turns out as beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cabinet turned out fabulous! I just bought a similar one off Craigslist that I still have to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a china cabinet very similar to yours. It's cool to see what it would look like painted. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first visit to you special space here and its amazing. I know I am going to enjoy many visits. Thanks for sharing. I will follow on my way out and hope you can find the time to come visit me and do the same. I look forward to engaging throughout twenty twelve with you. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just adore this! It's so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh I am in love with this---you refinished it perfectly! :o) Thanks for the great inspiration!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  12. This style piece is so pretty. Love the finish! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is a stunning piece! we don't seem to have such pretty furniture over here in Australia! visiting via Funky Junk! Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is gorgeous. I love it. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I am in love! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. beatuiful! I love the daintiness of this piece,
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE it!!! It turned out soooo cute!

    ♥Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are right, this would be so lovely in a bathroom. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Simply stunning. You are majorly making me regret leaving a similar cabinet (priced at just $13!) because I didn't have the room. I should have snagged it and FOUND a place for it! Thanks for linking up to Refresh Your Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this piece. And, thanks for the tip on painting the curlies in the door. I've passed on these little cabinets before because I didn't want to try to paint the curly Q's.

    ReplyDelete