Nov 8, 2011

Refinished Oak Server

I have to admit that this is a bit of an older project, but I have never shared it on here.  I love painting furniture, but I also love the look of natural wood... in fact a lot of my own furniture is unpainted. I bought this piece the beginning of last summer at an auction for a song. ($20.00!!!)

This is sort of what it looked like before I stated stripping paint off.  I had already started before I remembered to take a picture...and I wasn't even blogging way back then, but my parents wanted me to email them a picture.  Whoever owned it before had painted it an (ugly) pale creamy-yellow and outlined the drawers and backsplash in a bluey-green color. Once I started to remove the paint, I was excited to see the lovely quarter sawn oak underneath. 


(You'll have to forgive the ugly wall behind it... I was also removing wallpaper from that room...(By the way, don't paint over your wallpaper... it just makes it harder to remove in the long run!))



 It was extremely difficult to remove the paint from the crevices of these feet!  But, there's not one speck of paint left in them now!  I found a little wire bush was extremely handy for this.  And, not sure whether I should have done this or not... but I sometimes used a needle to flick paint out of the crevices. 

This is one of my favourite pieces of furniture that I own.  I think it took me about 25-30 hours from start to finish.  After I was done stripping it, I put on one coat of stain to even out the wood tone and then I put on three coats of polyurethane, sanding lightly with an extremely fine sandpaper in between.


And yes, I have some Christmas decorations up already.  My tree is not up yet, though by the end of next week, it will be :-)    

As seen on Apartment Therapy HERE

Linking to:

Furniture Feature Fridays
three boys
shabby creek cottage
Photobucket
The Shabby Nest











Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special





24 comments:

  1. When I saw this I was hoping to see it up on Kijiji in our area, but I see that you are keeping it in your home! I am so jealous!
    I am currently in NEED of something just like this! If you ever decide to put it up or find anything like this ever again, I'll be super interested!
    xoxo
    Kerri at HollyMuffin

    P.s. Currently re-doing the walls in our house, but after reno's, I'll be working with the ads I won and posting about them like I promised! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow that is just beautiful now! it has an awesome shape- LOVE it! and the wood is gorgeous on that piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This table has such beautiful lines and the wood is gorgeous! Good call on stripping it and not painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!! you must've been grinning ear to ear when you uncovered that wood grain! that's a keeper!

    amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is crazy pretty! Did you keep this for your own home? Lucky girl! I love the little casters on the feet, those make me smile. I also really like that you kept this one unpainted, or took off the paint & left it that way I should say. The grain on the wood is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful table. So many people are painting gorgeous quarter sawn oak these days just because painted furniture is in vogue. What a waste. In this case, their loss, your gain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous table! And what a find! You have a wonderful eye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving a lot of the non painted furniture as of late! It's a nice change of pace. This is no exception. Beautiful! And I am also itching to get my christmas decor out! I would be honored to have you link this up to my VIP party today =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/11/vip-party-36.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful piece - what a lucky find! You did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so beautiful!! I love the oak and am glad you stripped it.

    Good note about the wallpaper. We live in a 65 year old house and every room has 3-5 layers of wallpaper and paint. It took my husband six months to get it off of our dining room walls with a chisel. It was the only thing that worked!

    Thanks for sharing at MMS!

    Jenny
    The Lavender Magnolia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in the process of refurbishing an old farmhouse table and have been searching internet for suggestions on how to stain and seal. Thank goodness I ran across your pictures on Apt. Therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful job restoring that piece. I love painted furniture too but some things are just better unpainted!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally worth all that stripping! Sometimes, simple wood is the most beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you restored the server, it's beautiful! I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  15. amazing transformation So many people are painting wood, happy to see you gave this server new life!
    gail
    ps catching you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This is a beautiful piece! What a find at $20! I'm a new follower... plz come check out my page if you get time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow this looks beautiful! So lucky you got that for $20!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's AMAZING. Beautiful transformation! Thanks for linking up to Refresh Your Nest Friday, what a neat project.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Treasures I found. Just now I stumbled here and got a great colour for renovating my furniture, My furniture 's white and green shade almost gone and your idea will improve the look of my oldest furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing and delightful piece. I love look of Tiger Oak & you did an outstanding job of bring her back to her orginal beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, what an amazing job you did on this piece! Not too many people these days are removing the paint to take it back to wood, it's always the other way around. But you did right by it, and it looks like you spent a lot of loving hours on it. Great job! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing,Table decorations with different paintings are look so fabulous.Thanx to share with us this wonderful art and creative table designs.

    codigo promocional

    ReplyDelete