Oct 3, 2011

Black EndTable


Well, this piece was not originally going to be black.  I was thinking that it would be lovely in white... that seems to be my favorite colour.  However, the top was so bad that I had to sand it down to the bare wood.  As soon as I applied the primer, it instantly turned pink. Now, normally I like pink, but not so in this case! So, I decided it wasn't going to be worth my effort to apply an infinite number of white coats and so black it became.  I am actually happy with how it turned out and think it looks kind of classy.  There may be more black paint in my future! 

Here is a before picture.  I shared this picture before in this post.  
As you can see, it was a very reddish wood. 



I kept the original pull. 



I applied a coat of minwax to protect the finish.

For not being how I originally pictured it, I am quite happy with how it looks!

Linking to:
Sew Woodsy



Domestically Speaking







Transformation Thursday
Photobucket
Furniture Feature Fridays
The Shabby Nest
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Looks very classy in black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I love the black.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice looks like to came from a furniture store. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful difference! Visiting from Handy Man/ Crafty Woman! Great job! Love, Me www.youaretalkingtoomuch.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way this turned out. Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it turned out great. I may have to go back and paint mine blak as the white I too thought I wanted, just isnt working and now seeing yours has inspired me.

    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so pretty now. What a great endtable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sleek look of black furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! I love the black! Thanks for linking up.

    Kaitlin-The Not So Simple Housewife
    http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out very nice - I am loving dark furniture right now and this is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks beautiful! Great job!

    Alida
    http://radcrafter.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job i love this! and your blog!

    Come link this up to scrappy saturdays tomorrow at www.candacecreations.blogspot.com!

    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice outcome, considering it wasn't your first choice. I have had the same thing happen, the pink part, that is! But I was too stubborn(or dumb) to switch gears and go dark, noooo, I kept going with coat after coat of white paint! :( Live and learn ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like it in black. And that's a nice 'shade' of black, too. Good call when the wood or old stain bleeds - usually I'm just cursing it and using more primer til things become gummy and then land in my basement, lol. Black is gorgeous and an excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the end table. Very classy. I am your newest follower.
    www.shabbytochicqueencreek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am very new at refinishing things. but have decided it seems like a fun hobby! :) I love the black end table, I think it looks great. Can you tell me how you get such a smooth finish, doesnt look like there are a lot of brush marks etc. ? and what type of poly etc do you put on it once painted? thanks in advance---- ahayes133@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete