Sep 13, 2011

Repurposed Sewing Machine Desk

This sewing machine desk was a joint effort between my husband and I... I can't take all the credit this time.   Unfortunately I don't have a before picture. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the desk when my husband started going at it and then he was almost done before I thought about it, (my husband is a procrastinator, and I knew I shouldn't stop him...)


Anyways, he cut the desk portion off, leaving only drawers along the one side.  He removed the legs from the opposite side and attached them to the drawer section.  He then took the cover off the top and cut it to fit the top of the drawers, and attached it.  

I painted it a light blue/grey.  The colour is called music room from CIL, but I had it colour matched at Home Hardware.  I originally used this paint in my livingroom, and it looks slightly darker and bluer on my walls then it does on this piece. 

We used the original hardware, because they really suited.
I also lightly sanded around the edges to give it a slightly distressed look.  I finished it off with Minwax paste wax.
The gorgeous pewter coffee pot was a $5.00 auction piece that I really love!

I think this would make a lovely nightstand.  Those three drawers definitely offer a lot of storage space. 


Linking to:
Anything Related








Domestically Speaking











Transformation Thursday


Photobucket


Photobucket
The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Fridays



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

18 comments:

  1. Hi! Very nicely done :) I saw something like this on ebay just the other day but it had too much damage to be bothered with. Don't you hate that? Yours looks great though!
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great repurpose! love the narrow tall shape and the hardware- it's such a versatile piece now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shape of this piece super nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out beautiful! So glad you linked up to Show & Share! I have a giveaway going on right now would love to have you join in that also! http://mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com/2011/09/mixed-bag-designs-giveaway-with-3.html

    Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! It turned out so well! I'd love for you to share this with my blog party! http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com/2011/09/recreate-into-something-new-6.html

    Hope to see you at my place!
    Kaitlin-The Not So Simple Housewife
    http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for linking this up to my party! I'm so glad to have you! Hope to see you again next Wednesday!

    Kaitlin-The Not So Simple Housewife
    http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This came out really nice! Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's perfect for a nightstand! I'm wondering if it would be pretty easy to find (thrift) two of them of reasonable similarity... I think it could happen! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this! I love that you took apart the sewing table and turned it into this beautiful side table! And I love that your husband helped you! Just perfection. Thank you so much for linking up!!!! I love checking in with your blog each week! You are so talented!!!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just stumbled onto your beautiful blog, through "Other Peoples art work" blog. Your arrangement is perfect and looks beautiful. I also Keeping rose flower with full of water in yard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm Love it! Thanks for responding to my invite. This is so great! I love it! Thanks for sharing it with {Re}creation Into Something New Wednesdays at Not So Simple Housewife! Hope to see more from you this upcoming Wednesday!

    Kaitlin-The Not So Simple Housewife
    http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great. It would make a lovely side table.
    Happy new follower from Thrifty Tuesday.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. too cute! Loving it cut up! Wondering what you did with the lefovers. :)
    thanks for linking up and linking back to catch as catch can.
    gail

    ReplyDelete