Sep 23, 2011

My Version of the TinCan Pencil Holder

I work part time as a church secretary and my desk at church needed a li'l bit of sprucing up, so I decided to make myself a new pencil holder.  

So, not wanting to put any money out on the project, I used a recycled tin can.  I think almost everyone at some point in their childhood made one of these right?  



I'm really loving burlap right now, so I decided to go with that.  If you plan on making one of these, make it a lot easier on yourself and use the finished edge at the top of the can.  
After gluing the burlap around the can, I glued the bottom down, too.

To make it look a little more finished, I glued a burlap circle to the bottom. To make the circle, I just traced around the edge of the can, and then cut it out slightly smaller than markings. 
 Oh, and one other thing that I did was to add a thin grosgrain ribbon inside at the top, to give it a more complete look and to hide the metal lip that was there.

Embellish however your heart desires.  I just tied on some cute ribbon and added a muslin rosette and called it a day!
Now the only thing left for me to do is to actually remember to bring it to the church with me!

Linking to:
Sew Woodsy





















Transformation Thursday








Photobucket

Photobucket
The Shabby Nest





Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

rocaandcompany

20 comments:

  1. This is the prettiest of these I've ever seen! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Works good...how cute.Sweetie I have a time leaving a comment on your blog. I have to go and sign in again each time...I posted on this.. others may be having this trouble as well. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute pencil holder. I made one of those when I was a kid at camp many moons ago!! We wrapped baler twine around a tin can and then painted them orange! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too cute! I think this would make great presents for teachers as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Cynthia ,
    Love this pencil holder; I want to make one for my desk.
    Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a very creative mind. This is a wonderful idea! I just love it.
    Milan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and it will make you smile every time you see it on your desk! Thank you for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this!! Great job :)

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute - and the ribbon trick is smart! Popping over from Crafty, Scrappy, Happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely! i love tin can makeovers... its usually such an unappreciated craft resource!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your version, Cynthia! The burlap really disguises that it's a tin can. Great upcycle!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great idea...making one today...going back to look some more...and follow...come on over for a visit...and follow too if you'd like..lots planned.!!!!...Mariaelena

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really cute...gonna start saving my tin cans...thanks.

    Would love it if you would link this up to our Rockin' link party going on now at RoCa and Company. Here is the link: http://rocaandcompany.blogspot.com/2011/09/you-rock-3.html . Come and show off what you got. Hope to see you there...

    Remember...YOU ROCK!!

    Carmen @
    RoCa and Company
    www.rocaandcompany.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. so cute, so simple and just wonderful! Thank you for the inspiration! :o) I have jars and cans all over my house that could use some up-cycling!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  17. very cute pencil holder! You know I love a good repurpose!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love how it turned out! Thanks so much for linking up with us at Show & Share! Hope you’re joining us again this week!
    http://mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com/2011/10/show-share-8.html

    Marie
    Mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so simple and cute. One of those perfect projects that doesn't take days or cost tons of money, but still is an amazing transformation! You did a great job.
    Krista
    krista-artista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete