Aug 9, 2011

Dropfront Secretary

This was a recent Kijiji purchase.  My husband drove with me to the people's house to pick it up.  It wasn't too far from our house, but it was out in the country.  I have only lived in this area for a few years, and it was nice to travel on some of the roads that I haven't ventured out on yet.  Thank goodness my husband was with me... or I would have run a serious risk of getting lost!

This is what it looked like when we picked it up:
It had those super ugly really nice black speckles all over the finish and brassy hardware.


I gave it a couple of coats of primer, and a couple of coats of white paint.  Then I decided that it wanted to be distressed. The hardware received a coat of oil rubbed bronze spray paint from Rustoleum.  This is the first time I have used that paint, and I really like how it turned out- it was a very nice finish.

The drawers have a vintage newspaper printed in them:
The cubbies were the hardest part of this job, as they would not come out.  My husband was able to take the backing off the desk, which made it slightly easier.

 I think it turned out really cute, and that it is a definite improvement.  I usually try to shy away from pieces with horrible smells, but the lady who I bought this desk from stored candles and scented oils in it.  It actually smelled kind of pretty!
Linking to:
Transformation Thursday @ the Shabby Creek Cottage

Domestically Speaking
Furniture Feature Fridays














36th Avenue

Photobucket







Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Anything Related

17 comments:

  1. I'm a follower of your blog now!
    And good job on those cubbies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cynthia,
    Wow, your makeover on your new secretary desk came out amazing. Now the desk looks good and smells good. Thanks for sharing.
    Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute!!! i love the shape of it with those fun legs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pretty desk! looks fresh and bright now with the white paint and painted hardware

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one amazing transformation! Love it! BTW, thank you so much for your sweet words about my spice rack...it means so much:)

    xo,

    Abby




    xo,

    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cynthia :) love, love, love this sweet little desk...and all of your other makeovers too!
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again, beautiful job! Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow--this is amazing! I'm itching to refinish a piece of furniture! I'd love if you joined us over at Sew Woodsy to link up this project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job Cynthia. It looks so different now. I know what you mean about cubbies. I've done them before. You did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great makeover! I love it! It looks so fresh and new. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I've used that oil rubbed bronze spray paint for a few things and love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cynthia--looks great! Nice distressing too.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cynthia it is absolutely beautiful!!!I love it in white and will definitely try out the hardware spray with the antique bronzed finish!

    Isn't it fun to discover new spots to take day trips!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't you just love Kijiji? I really love the desk, it looks so fresh now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how that turned out. It's so neat to see a transformation like that - from old to new.

    ReplyDelete