Jun 14, 2011

How to make a burlap covered memo board

I have gathered a few bulletin boards recently.  But unless they are dressed up a little, they don't really suit my decor.



To make this memo board, I started with a regular bulletin board.  I cut it in half with an exacto knife. I drew a line down then center and then I found it was easier to make heavier, repeated, score marks along the line rather than trying to saw with the knife.

I then cut a piece of chocolate brown burlap that was little larger on each side then my piece of bulletin board.  I then began stapling it on with my staple gun, pulling tight as I went.


I did one side at a time, then the opposite one.

Here is the front side with the burlap on and undecorated.


Here is the finished product:


I hot glued some lace at the top and the bottom as a well a rosette that is made out of sheet music. The little flowers are punched out of a vintage dictionary.

The pictures I have displayed on it are of my dad as a child and my grandmother when she was younger.

This was a fairly simple project to do and adds that something special to an ordinary bulletin board.



Linking to:
Anything Related










The Shabby Nest

3 comments:

  1. Nicely done Cynthia. Thanks for visiting my blog. Stop by anytime. You have a lot of cute ideas. Keep posting. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh...I am swooning - this looks so adorable! I'm pinning it. And recreating it. (someday!). Thank you so much for sharing.

    Swing by my blog to see how to make healthy ice cream...no ice cream maker required ;)

    -MJ @ MD School Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you @ The Shabby Nest. Love it! You did an amazing job.

    I did the same thing with chocolate burlap to make a French Memo Board for our niece's dorm this fall.

    I'm following your blog now.

    XO,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete